Picasso had one...I want one too!

This image has me hanging for the new little junk shop up the road to re open. They have a No.14 Vienna Thonet chair down there with a price tag of $10 on it!
I have wanted some of these design icons for ages and now that the kitchen is done, the table (like the one above) is crying for some.
apartment therapy
For those of you who don't know what Thonet chair is (the one above is the No.18 chair made in 1876) it is basically the first mass produced, flat packet chair which was started by a man named Michael Thonet circa 1819. He was the first person to make bentwood furniture using steam to shape European Beech to make this everlasting design. The chair comes in 6 components with a few nuts etc and a plywood seat to make a wonderful iconic piece known as either a bistro chair or in the No. 14's case, a 'Consumer Chair'.


All I know is I love them, want some and need the man down the way to open his door so I can hand over my $10 and be on my way. I almost feel guilty because they can sell from $1000.00 to $30, 000.00 (apparently) for an original one. He obviously doesn't know what he has. I will have to put me best "What a cute little chair. This would look good in my bathroom don't you think?" face on...like I have no idea what it is.
Wish me luck! I have about 4 days or so to wait and see if he is open...argh!
Ness xx
Fire Update - As of this afternoon, the fire is semi under control. The cooler day we had has set the men up to do some fierce back burning and they managed to set up some strong containment lines. Tomorrow we are in for a scorcher and relative humidity is basically nil (a fires best friend), so it could all be for nothing. Lets hope the lines contain. Thank you all for your concern. It has been lovely. You are all wonderful people and I am lucky to call you friends. xx

Blog Archive