The First Part Of Our Bathroom Makeover...for FREE!

So for those of you that are new to the blog, we have been planning to update our huge old bathroom...and those that have been reading for a while will know how frustrated I am with this room and that I have been hanging to re-do it.
Small, actually huge problem. Because of the size of the space and the fact we have to cut it into 2 rooms means that it is going to cost us way more than originally thought...so, I have devised a no cost plan to makeover this space. It is going to take me a while because I have lots of other projects going on, so bear with me if you will.
This first image is to soften you into the hideousness of this room. It is a little table in front of the window...but more of that at a later post.
Lets get into it.
BEFORE
Ahhhh! U.G.L.Y!! Yep, I am totally embarrassed to show you these before shots. just think, we have lived like this for nearly 7 years! I know.
The bath used to black and I painted it white and the walls were the old fake ranch board stuff (faux wood, you can see it above the white paint at the top) that I also painted white a few years back as I couldn't stand it and we have been so busy doing the rest of the house, that this room was last on the list as we knew it was going to cost a lot. It has been a nightmare keeping the water away from the back of the bath, hence the tacked shower curtain to the wood!
First things first, get rid of the wood wall behind the bath and make it friendly to a little water here and there for the time being..and a thorough cleaning of the wall ready to paint. I used an organic orange oil cleaner designed for bathrooms and the like and made sure to get every speck of it off. Then a light sand as this wall had the orangey glow that only poly coated pine can offer!
Here is the beloved B.I.N that I talked about in the kitchen re-do post. I love this stuff and had some left so I thought I would use it over the pine to stop it bleeding through.
*First free part of the room makeover*
This was actually quite enjoyable as I knew the dreaded orange wood would be gone!

Here is the first coat of B.I.N on and what a difference already! It only took about half an hour to dry...time for a coffee!
This is the paint I used on the kitchen doors. I still had over half a can left, so I thought it is a gloss enamel, I can use this on the wall to help with the water. The colour that I used in the paint is Dulux Chalk USA and is a wonderful warm white, but not a cream. It is also the colour that we have under our chair rail and above our picture rail in the kitchen, living space and hallway.

*This is the second free part of the makeover*

TA DA!!
Second coat of paint went on the next day, as I had other things to do.
SO much better, don't you think?

I had to use the old shower curtain rail for the time being while I hunt down something else for it. I did find a cut work cotton shower curtain on Ebay and I think I have one here I could re fashion into one.

Now, obviously I still have a long way to go and especially when I am spending no money (if I can help it) in this room as we will eventually be doing it properly. I plan to do a little bit every few days to make it a brighter, lighter, nicer looking space.

The next dilemma is what to do with this floor! I want to rip up this linoleum and the cement sheeting underneath to reveal the wide Tasmanian Oak floorboards underneath and paint with the same paint that we have on our floors in the master bedroom, but I will have to get more paint for that and I have some other painting to do first, so I think I will wait until last to do this...and I have to convince Mic to let me do it!!

So, what do you think so far? Do you think I can do this room on virtually no budget using found pieces and things we already have and make it look nice? I may need your help along the way, ok?

Have a wonderful weekend wont you?

Ness xx

Blog Archive