Slipcovered...

Yay...it worked!!! As you know I was attempting to slipcover our beat up sofas. I bit the bullet and done the deed. Yesterday, along with our little Mason turning 3, I covered the seat cushions and back cushions. Then today tackled the rest of the sofa while Mason slept. I thought I would show you how it went down....and all for $68.00!!! This is what I started with - a comfortable sofa with age tattered fabric.

I draped the fabric, which is a drop sheet from the hardware store that looks like the beautiful burlap linen I have (but much cheaper), over the top of the sofa base and used the front as a guide to start me off.
Once I was happy with that I put some pins along the back of the sofa to hold it in place.

The same was done along the arms of the sofa. I also drew little guides where the corners are to make it a little easier when the cutting, pinning and sewing began. Then all I done was traced along the edges and grooves of the sofa, matched up the lines and pinned.
Once I was happy with that, I put the cover back on the sofa to get the hem right, sewed that and here is the base cover finished.
And here it is with the back and base cushions on. This photo is really brassy looking because I forgot to take one in the daylight, so had to use the flash and Mic was sitting on it, so I didn't get to fix the cushions for the photo...but I hope you get the picture.
So, after all of that (and a quote of approx $2500.00+ for the two sofas to be covered) it only cost me $68.00 and 5 hours time over 2 days...and I even have enough fabric left to do the other sofa! Now I can have my cup of Coffee in this lovely squishy "new" sofa.
Next thing to do is make my cushion covers with the new fabric I bought while in Sydney to go on the sofa. As soon as I have done that I will post photos of the room (I made new curtains too).
I would love to know what you all think.
Ness xx

Blog Archive