Snug Sleeping Quarters





Today's theme is...beds placed in alcoves. Sound a little claustrophobic? Perhaps, but it also seems cozy too. Obviously, a bed like this would only work for a single person. Imagine the person who is wedged against the wall trying to get out of the bed for a midnight trip to the loo? Way too complicated if you ask me. But for one person? Well, I think it's kind of an intriguing idea. And, as with many things, the French seem to do it best. At least, they did back in the 1950s when all of these photos were shot.

The photo at top is a bedroom in the country home of Jean Marais. I love the color combo and the slight bordello feel to that red velvet lined niche.




A niche that doesn't seem so confining. The lectern looking table is a clever addition with its bronze somno on it (Latin for sleep.)



One of my favorites. This one was slept in by designer Emilio Terry. Those sheets, however, might just be my favorite thing in the photo.



Tucked away in Toile du Jouy.



So French looking and so perfect. The bedroom of Mme Billotte as decorated by Henri Samuel.



I don't show children's rooms often, but I couldn't resist this one.


(All images from Les Reussites De La Decoration Francaise: 1950-1960)