It's All Greek To Me




Yes, it's time for yet another post on Greek Keys. I'm sorry, but I can't help myself. I've never met a Greek Key that I didn't like. (And now that I think of it, I've never met a Greek person that I didn't like either.) The twist this time is that all of these examples show the motif used as part of the architecture, both interior and exterior. And to start it off is the image at top, a room at Pitzhanger Manor near London. It's a room after my own heart. Why limit the motif to the ceiling when you can repeat it on the floor as well?



I can't find any information on this house, so unfortunately I don't know who the architect was nor where this house was located. Not only do I fancy the Greek Key detail on the facade, I also like the house's symmetry.



The house of Mrs. Charles Harrington Chadwick in Palm Beach; Treanor & Fatio architects. The bonus to this exuberant use of Greek Keys was the single star that capped the door.




One of my very favorite architectural uses of the Greek Key: carved into a niche to allow for indirect lighting. In the dining room of the Richardson-Owens-Thomas house in Savannah; William Jay, architect; c. 1816-1819.




The drawing room ceiling at Port Eliot, Cornwall, England; Sir John Soane created this circular room in 1804.



Hefty Greek Keys crown the bookshelves in this McMillen designed room from the 1930s.



A St. Louis dress shop, c. 1930s, as decorated by McMillen.





Lucky for me that I get my Greek Key fix on a daily basis by driving by this Lewis Crook designed house everyday.



(Image #1 from Regency Style by Steve Parissien; image #4 from Landmark Homes of Georgia 1733-1983 by Van Jones Martin and William Mitchell, Jr.; image #5 from The Regency Country House: From the Archives of Country Life by John Martin Robinson; image #6 and #7 from Sixty Years of Interior Design: The World of McMillen by Erica Brown; last image from Crossleys.org)