A Most Stylish Burgoo






I got my first taste of fall last week while in Napa. I can't tell you how nice it was to wear a lightweight sweater at night! Of course, the hot, muggy weather was waiting for me upon my return to Atlanta. But fall truly is around the corner, and while my "back to school" wardrobe adds to the excitement, it's thoughts of fall and winter food that give me great pleasure. I can't wait to make the season's first pot of Barefoot Contessa's Boeuf Bourguignon, not to mention my mother's beef tenderloin. There are hams to be baked, cheese grits to souffle, and butternut squash to roast.

If I could equate this comfort food to a particular room, it just might look something like this: the tiny but totally charming Manhattan apartment of Kentucky native Charles Patteson. There may not be many ingredients to this room, but it's a recipe on how to create the well-edited room.


*In case you're wondering what's up with the title, burgoo is a Kentucky dish that's similar to Brunswick stew. It's a melange of ingredients, much like this apartment. Although, I doubt in the early days of burgoo making they used the word "melange."










(Images from The Table by Diane von Furstenberg, Stewart O'Shields photographer.)