Reel Style at Home




I've got to be honest- I don't really get the home theater thing. As a child, I knew of nobody who had one in their home, no matter how large the house. Family rooms or TV rooms, yes; home theaters, no. Even if I had the space, I still don't think that I would have one. Personally, I can think of better uses of space...like a gift wrapping room à la Candy Spelling. (Just kidding.)

The space issue aside, when have you seen one that actually has style and panache? Most look like miniature versions of your local AMC theater. I get that comfort is key (which obviously explains the overstuffed recliners that are often seen), but why the dull, boring fabrics? And the color schemes tend to be pretty vanilla too.

I think this is why I'm so taken with this Elsie Sloane Farley designed "moving picture room", located in a New York home circa 1929. This is pretty snazzy, isn't it? The walls were covered in a Chinese wallpaper, and the trim was painted powder blue. Those luminous curtains were made of blue glazed cotton. Note too the fireplace (so cozy), the classic star ceiling fixture, and the long window seat with various shaped pillows. And because this was obviously the home theater of a swell, Farley added a Chinoiserie tilt top table in the back corner.

Now I'm sure that back in 1929, a home theater was quite novel- something which might explain the luxe surroundings. I can just imagine the home's owner entertaining guests for exclusive moving picture nights, and I think it's also safe to assume that the guests dressed for these get-togethers too. I admit that the chairs don't look particularly comfortable, but keep in mind that in the late 1920s, movies didn't run as long as they do today. And, people had a bit more decorum back then. Seriously, how many females of that era do you think sat with their feet propped up on the seat in front of them or worse yet had their legs splayed open?

So if someone twisted my arm and insisted that I have a home theater, I would probably do as Elsie Sloan Farley did. In my one concession to comfort, though, I truly might buy some Barcaloungers and have them upholstered in a Scalamandre Chinoiserie print fabric. I borrow this idea from society doyenne Oatsie Charles and her designer John Peixinho. In my book, anyone who can make a Barcalounger look stylish deserves an Oscar!

Blog Archive