Those Fashion People: Norman Norell




A very kind reader recently emailed me some scanned images of designer Norman Norell's Manhattan apartment. Come on, you know who Norell is. If you're not familiar with his clothing (like that stunning evening dress at top), then I know that you've seen his classic perfume:



I just realized that I've never actually smelled Norell's fragrance before, but I've seen that bottle at stores for my entire life. How great is that bottle?

So back to his apartment. According to this reader, it was featured in a magazine from the late 1960s, though he's not sure from which publication these photos came. The reader had the pleasure of visiting Norell's apartment and remembers that while it was well-appointed and elegant, the sofa was uncomfortable and the cocktail table was a bit of a stumbling block.




At one end of the living room was a Coromandel screen behind a luxurious green velvet sofa. While the cocktail table looks stylish, I think it might be too low for my taste. How nice to see that lily in the basket. In old interior shots, you always saw lilies. They don't seem so popular anymore, although I think they should be.



At the other end of the living room was this vignette. I can't tell if the tablecloth is a malachite print or not, but it reminds me of that great Jim Thompson/Tony Duquette malachite print fabric.


The same end of the living room done up in a more casual way. This must be the sportswear version while the other was dressed up in evening wear. The reader notes that the floral fabric was a Woodson Taulbee print. I'm not sure...I think that I may prefer the dressier attire in the other photo. While I am smitten with the living room's rug, it's nice to see those rich floors in this shot, though.


And of course, the proper dining room. I know, nothing earth shattering here, but it is rather pretty, don't you think?

Blog Archive