Random Thoughts




Another deadline approaching, another brief post. But, it's a topic that I actually want to explore in the near future, so I'm treating this one as a warm-up.

I absolutely adore high gloss and lacquered walls. When I bought my condo two years ago, the very first decorating decision that I made was to choose a high-gloss paint for my living and dining rooms. I wanted to create a nighttime apartment as this was to be the time of day during which I spent the most time at home. And let's face it- glossy, shiny walls look their best at night. I chose Farrow & Ball's Powder Blue in an oil-based high gloss. I know, I know- not really an environmentally friendly choice, and one that truthfully smelled to high heaven for a few weeks. Still, to have walls sprayed in a high gloss paint cost a lot less than having my walls hand-lacquered. And quite frankly, it was the only way I knew how to achieve the look that I wanted.

One tidbit that you may not know about me is that I enjoy walking around my home at night and admiring the walls. (A strange habit perhaps.) I also painted the crown molding the same color and finish as the walls, and at night, depending on how the light hits it, the trim still looks wet. I love the fact that two years later, it still looks super shiny, highly reflective, and wet. As great as it looks, I'd like to be able to take a photo to show you what I see at night. Unfortunately, my photography skills are such that I can't seem to capture the richness and the luster that one sees in person. Perhaps this is why the photo at top stopped me in my tracks. It's actually from a cookbook,
Lee Bailey's New Orleans: Good Food And Glorious Houses.

The walls of this New Orleans house are painted such a handsome shade of green yes, but really, isn't it all about that seriously glossy finish. See how they still look wet? This is exactly why many of us love the high-gloss effect. This photo captured the beauty of the room at night when lit by soft-light, not an easy feat to achieve. The photographer, Langdon Clay, did such a great job with this shot. Now, if only I could take similar photos of my living room.






An aside: I was in New York very briefly last week, and I was reminded of my very favorite star-studded door. (Remember when I wrote about them
a few weeks back?) This one is at The Carlyle, just off of the elevator lobby. If I were to do a star door, this would be the one I would try to imitate. The black paint and the bronze stars are classic, yet they have pizzazz. And see that blinding light bouncing off of the door? This is why I don't dare try to take a photo of my living room walls. I just can't seem to figure out the flash thing. Obviously, I need to stick to my day job.


(Top image from: Lee Bailey's New Orleans: Good Food And Glorious Houses by Lee Bailey, Langdon Clay photographer. Bottom image by Jennifer Boles.)

Blog Archive