Star Struck




I've been stuck on stars as of late, and it's not the Hollywood variety that appeals to me (quite frankly, I tend to find many of those stars big bores.) No, it's the star motif that I find positively brilliant. Think Albert Hadley's "Trixie" wallpaper which, by the way, covers my study's walls and ceiling. Or those classic Moravian star chandeliers. But what's really got me starry eyed are doors with, well, stars on them. Sound peculiar? Perhaps, but you'd be surprised how many doors have been decorated with stars on them.

Take the door above, for example, one replete with bronze stars. It was designed by my parents' late decorator, David Byers, when he was a young man. I think this flourish was the result of youthful exuberance because I don't believe that he repeated this as an older, more established decorator. What I might like even more than the door, though, is the Regency clock framed in a plaster swag.


I do realize that there is a lot going on here for such a small entrance hall. There are striped walls, patterned floors, doors with stars painted on them, and vertical strips of lighting along the side walls and ceiling. And, I wouldn't recommend copying this room. These doors do not earn a gold star because they look a little cheap to me. Still, they do support today's theme of starred doors, so for that reason alone they're part of the mix.


A little difficult to see, but actor Eddie "Rochester" Anderson stands before a pair of over the top paneled doors with star insets. The doors led to a boudoir fit for a star in the 1941 film "Kiss the Boys Goodbye".


Is this room decorated within an inch of its life? Absolutely. The door frame is a bit fantastical, and the stars are repeated on the fireplace mantel.




If I were to give the star treatment to one of my home's doors, I'd probably go the easy route and use stencils for a discreet, Empire kind of look. I might even do something similar to this door, above.

And speaking of doors, here is my latest project that was just completed:



I decided to upholster the swinging door that hangs between my dining room and kitchen. What do you think? I wanted to go for a 1930s look which is why I chose the design that I did. The leather, Moore & Giles' Vienna in Deep Sea, is a gorgeous, deep blue that works well with my Farrow & Ball Powder Blue walls. The nail head trim is antiqued nickel. Thank goodness that my fantastic upholsterer, Craig Swenson, knew what he was doing. It was a leap of faith and I think he did a bang-up job.

I'm just hoping that Alfie doesn't decide to 1) slobber or 2) scratch at the door. If that happens, we're going to have a real come to Jesus quite soon!



(Image at top: House and Gardens Complete Guide to Interior Decoration; #2 from House & Garden, February, 1960; movie still from Forties Screen Style: A Celebration of High Pastiche in Hollywood ) ; #4 and #5 from House & Garden's Complete Guide to Interior Decoration)

Blog Archive