Grown Up Color




Recently, I was interviewed for an Atlanta Journal-Constitution article on color. I was asked for my thoughts on color trends and the predictions that yellow and purple will be THE colors for 2009.

Though I don't have any yellow in my home, I heartily approve of the color- whether it's the "in" shade of the moment or not. I prefer gutsy yellows, much along the lines of Nancy Lancaster's buttah-yellow drawing room. (I recently saw the room in person, and it's far more vivid than I expected. The buttah that I grew up with is quite positively pale in comparison.) To me, the other gold standard of yellow rooms is Chris Spitzmiller's living room. The color- and everything else in it- is perfection!


In terms of purple, I am quoted as saying that I'm not a fan of purple. That is true. It's a great color, but it's just not for me. And then I went on to say that I'm mad for aubergine. The kind journalist asked me "Well, isn't aubergine a shade of purple??" Well, yes it is, and obviously I was having a daft moment. So to clarify, aubergine is one shade of purple that is very me.

But I did go on to say that I'm currently craving deeper, more sophisticated colors like aubergine, moss green, and moody shades of blue. Basically, I'm ready for some depth. And I swear it was as if Jeffrey Bilhuber read my mind. When I read my March issue of House Beautiful last night, I was giddy over his use of color in a Pennsylvania farmhouse: aubergine, kumquat, and indigo to name a few. It's a combination that just seems right for right now. As for that indigo room featured at top, Bilhuber was inspired by a similar color that he saw at Mount Vernon. (If I used it in my home, I'd have to go the high-gloss route just because I'm weak for shiny surfaces.)

I think we've all grown up a lot over the last year- we've had to because of the current political and economic climate. And I think color has matured too.


An armchair in the farmhouse decorated by Bilhuber. I adore this color; I almost want to eat it! The fabric is "Carom" from Malabar.


The kumquat/aubergine combo has some zip, especially against that blue chair frame. Bilhuber obviously has a great eye for color.


Chris Spitzmiller doesn't know this yet, but I'm planning on moving into his apartment with him. His living room is probably my favorite yellow room.


I remember being struck by this room in the Newport home of designer Meg Braff. Back in 2007, you really didn't see this shade of blue very often. It was a breath of fresh air, and it still is. The wallpaper is Farrow & Ball's Plain Stripe blue wallpaper with Stone Blue trim. The red accents look really good against that blue too.


Katie Ridder does some really interesting things with color, and I think her rooms have a lot of depth to them. Again, this room is a unique shade of blue.

(Bilhuber images from House Beautiful, March 2009; Julian Wass photographer. Image of the Spitzmiller living room from House Beautiful; photographer Tara Striano. Braff living room from House Beautiful, June 2007; Simon Upton photographer. Katie Ridder room from her website.)

Blog Archive