For the abrakophiles ... Collecting owl figurines

Over the years ... I have gotten used to expecting the weird and unexpected things from my elder brother ... he lives on another planet called Advertising . So one fine day, I discover ... he has a passion for collecting owls ... o.k ... sooo... my eyes roll in their sockets ... but over the years ... the lil' creatures I see added to his collection ,everynow and then ... well , I have to say... its interesting. Like this porcelin one from China ... I love blue and white ware ... and this one really caught at my heart ... a blue and white owl ... ???...I discovered there is an official word for people who love collecting nicknacks and trinkets ... abrakophiles .
It is always interesting to see what people collect ...it is really very inspiring. As in the case of the owls... each region and each culture ... has a unique way to make its owl figurines... depending ofcourse on also what kind of owls are found in the local areas and the local style of craftsmenship.
Here are two owls ... the gold chested one bought in Dubai ... definitely very different from the other one picked up in Auroville (Pondicherry,India)
...heres a corner with some of the owls finding their perch... ... another set I found interesting... on the books is a piece from Thailand and the other is from South India ... ... have to say...this chubby and very cherubic piece... made in brass... takes the crown as my favorite...... another piece ...from India ...the feathered torso is carved out in the a jali (mesh)style......one of the smallest member of the collection ... sits on the study table... ... this family of three are very interesting sitting atop one of the library book cabinet ... also from Auroville (Pondicherry, India)

... some more members of the beautiful collection are housed in this shelving ... As I discover this collection ... I know one thing ,each piece is a work of art ...and art is all about you.It is about making that personal connection with a piece ...
If you are getting interested in starting a collection... I would recommend you read some books and discover the magnificient creature that the owl is.It is just a way of tickling your senses into the world of owls.
Owl figurines , you'll find in many different materials... be it porcelin... glass... metals like brass... and ofcourse wood.And each looking so different because there are so many types of owls in each region of the world.

Blog Archive