Fred Hayman & Bijan - A Blast from the Past




I am anxiously awaiting the release of the new Fred Hayman biography Fred Hayman The Extraordinary Difference. You might recall that Hayman was the impresario behind both the famous Rodeo Drive boutique Giorgio Beverly Hills as well as the infamous fragrance of the same name. Even if you never stepped foot in Hayman's store (and unfortunately, I never did), you have to be familiar with the perfume. There was a time there in the 1980s that Giorgio perfume was all anyone talked about. I remember that the fragrance was heavy. As heavy as those big earrings that Felicia Gallant used to wear. In fact, weren't there establishments which posted signs asking patrons not to wear Giorgio? I guess you either loved it or hated it. Of course, I was too young at the time to wear anything as mature as Giorgio (I believe that I had to settle on Anais Anais), so I don't know which camp I would have fallen in.

Thinking of Fred Hayman and Giorgio made me think of Bijan and his fragrance:




Bijan was omnipresent in his ads that were strewn throughout Vogue and Bazaar. He was always laughing (laughing all the way to bank?) while the doughnut shaped flaçon was usually prominently displayed. Like Hayman, Bijan was very much part of the Rodeo Drive scene of the 1980s and 90s. (He was also famous for his menswear.) What I didn't know until over the weekend is that poor Bijan passed away back in April. While visiting his website, I found photos of his home that give us a glimpse into Bijan's lifestyle. But the best part just might be the website's photos and video of the Bijan Edition Rolls-Royce Phantoms that were part of a recent collaboration between the late designer and the luxury automaker. A throwback to the 1980s? Perhaps. But you've got to admit, Bijan certainly knew how market himself- and this was long before the days of Twitter and Facebook!



The late Bijan at his front door. Love his Bijan dinner jacket and velvet slippers.




Bijan's stairwell. Are those framed Bijan ads? Well, really, why not.



Bijan's living room with more framed ads or photographs.



Another living room.




Bijan in his study.




The dining room.




His kitchen.




I suppose this is Bijan's bedroom?




And his bath?



A shot of his garden.





Bijan's cars including a Rolls-Royce in Bijan's signature shade of yellow that may or may not be a Bijan edition. I can't tell.

All Bijan photos courtesy of his website.

Blog Archive