Saving my Tankhas

Our first trip as a family after the birth of our lil’ Sarah was to Dharamshala, abode of his holiness Dalai Lama…and my shopping therapy was as important a part of the schedule as the schedule itself. And that is where I picked up my first tankhas. The dealer gave me a choice of brocade fabric …which they use to stitch the tankha on and do a neat job of framing .
Lo and behold …on reaching home, my gut feeling told me the fabric I picked was not really happening. The Tankhas somehow did not look as magical as I wanted them to. I just could not hang them up as they were. Any ardent shopper knows, it’s not a nice feeling. And yes, they did find themselves a place in the back shelf.
A nagging guilt to make it work and a hunch that it just might work…I took it to my framers. Was not sure if I was going to actually ask him to cut the brocade... that is just what I did...and asked him, to leave just about 1 and a half-inch of border of the brocade fabric around the tankha. To high light the beautiful pieces I had, I gave a 4 inchs of, off white mount around it. The frame I picked was brushed gold and antiqued finish.
It worked.