The Man Was a Genius




This man, Van Day Truex, was responsible for all of this and more:



The late, great Tiffany Bamboo flatware that has been discontinued- one of the dumbest decisions I've ever heard of.



The Tiffany classic All-Purpose Wine Glass . I've used this wine glass for years, and except for the most formal occasions I really haven't needed other crystal.




Tiffany rock cut crystal pattern. Truth be told, this is not my favorite pattern, but the candlesticks that Truex designed are fantastic. I'm pretty sure the candlesticks have been discontinued, but Tiffany really should consider bringing these back.



The "Dionysos" decanter Truex designed for Baccarat. If any of you ever have the opportunity to purchase this decanter, jump at the chance! This is hands down one of the best looking, and dare I say sexiest, decanters ever.



Truex looked to Mother Nature for inspiration, and these sterling seed pod tureens and boxes are the result. This is the type of inventive design that seems rare today.




Truex was famous for the Drabware china that he introduced to Tiffany, but he also commissioned "Black Shoulder" hand-painted china. Still available today, this pattern is truly exquisite.




Truex's talent was not limited to the table. He also designed this handy little chair for Hinson & Co.




Did I mention that Truex was also a painter? This watercolor is available on 1st dibs. And Albert Hadley, a great friend of Truex, has some magnificent Truex paintings in his collection.

And this is why I consider Van Day Truex to be one of the true design geniuses of the 20th century. (To learn more about the man, I suggest reading
Van Day Truex: The Man Who Defined Twentieth-Century Taste and Style)