Does This Look Familiar?




"Prelude to the Christmas party, reserved for sentimental moments"



OK people, give it up. How many of you have had a sentimental moment as such before one of your parties? I'm sorry but not in all my days have I been this relaxed before one of my parties! Now I realize that you're supposed to look this cool and calm in front of your guests, and Lord knows I've tried to do so (and hopefully successfully!). But behind the scenes is this going on for me? I don't think so. Setting a table like this is fun and easy for me. And I enjoy getting myself primped and fluffed before a party. But during the prelude to the party I'm running around lighting candles, keeping an eye on the oven, making sure the ice is fresh, etc. And when I've had significant others who have helped me with parties, I've even been known to be hell on wheels and bark orders at them- in the kitchen and away from the guests, mind you. But does any of this stop me from entertaining? Not on your life because there is nothing more fun...even without these sentimental moments!

Image from House & Garden, Dec. 1948