Georgian Style and Design




For those of you who are fans of Henrietta Spencer-Churchill, I think you'll enjoy her latest offering Georgian Style and Design for Contemporary Living. The book focuses on contemporary interpretations of the Georgian style with interiors that focus on comfort and functionality first and foremost. But what really struck me the most about the book were the lush wallpapers used in many of these homes. Gorgeous scenic and hand-painted wallpapers abound, and you know I've met very few of these wallpapers that I didn't like.


How incredibly fabulous is this hand-painted paper that features an Indian colonial scene? It's perfection to me. Who do you think makes this? de Gournay? Zuber?


I have no idea who makes this architectural toile, but I just adore it. Featured in a 'gents' cloakroom, the paper sets the right masculine tone.


At first glance, I assumed this wallpaper might have been Gracie, but I'm really thinking it might be de Gournay. The book does not mention who the maker is, only saying that it's a hand-painted silk wallpaper that is produced (or perhaps I should say crafted) in China. The wallpaper is custom designed and fitted for the specific setting.


In this Scottish country house, the chinoiserie room features a hand-painted de Gournay wallcovering. I like how the colors are rather muted.


Another hand-painted wallcovering that was painted on silk panels and installed in this bedroom (again, I believe this is a de Gournay). I think that if my bedroom was papered in these panels, I might finally stop waking up on the wrong side of the bed-something that has been known to happen from time to time!

Although it has nothing to do with wallpaper, I also wanted to include a few images from one of the featured interiors that was designed by my friend Patricia McLean, an Atlanta designer. I love the various shades of blue that she chose.








(All images from Georgian Style and Design, Henrietta Spencer-Churchill, Rizzoli publisher)