Christmas 1954








How long has it been since you've seen a Christmas spread in a magazine that did not include greenery of some type? A tree? A garland? A magnolia wreath? Well, this article from House Beautiful (Dec. 1954) was not a paean to things green and natural but rather a tribute to paper decorations. The gold scrollwork pieces and accordion pleated stars and geegaws were all made of paper and were sold on the market under House Beautiful's moniker.

Now, I think the gold stars are kind of neat but I'm not so crazy about the baluster looking things. I really like the gold scrollwork pieces although I would use them in a more subtle way. And I don't think I'd hang ornament balls from them. That's a bit too kitschy for my taste. All in all, it's certainly evocative of that era and a far cry from today's more natural design.