Things I'm Rethinking for 2009


Chenille:


I'll admit that I've never been a fan of chenille, and I don't think I'm alone. There's something about chenille that seems to cause a visceral response- you either like it or detest it. So it came as a shock to me that Glimmer, a fabulous metallic fabric in the Celerie Kemble for Schumacher collection, is actually a chenille. I'm eating crow, and for once I don't seem to mind.

Ruffled and Pinked Edges:


I usually prefer a more simple and tailored edging for my curtains and pillows, but I'm rather intrigued by ruffles and pinked edges right now. This pillow, made from a Cecil Beaton collection fabric, reminds me of those fabulous curtains and pillows in Pauline de Rothschild's London home. John Fowler had a hand in designing Rothschild's home, and we all know that Fowler was the master of using those dressmaker details on his curtains and soft furnishings. Maybe it's time to pull out the pinking shears.



Sailing:


Actually, I turn positively green when I'm out on the water and no amount of Dramamine is going to change that. Sailing is not on my horizon for 2009, but I am loving Katie Ridder's "Beetlecat" wallpaper. (Available through Holland and Sherry.)

Napkins:


Paying no heed to my mother's advice about not airing one's dirty laundry in public, I'm coming clean about my napkin habits. I often use Vanity Fair paper napkins when I'm dining alone. And no, I don't live in a double wide, I don't drink PBR, and there are no rusting cars jacked up on cinder blocks in my front yard. That said, I'm trying to cure myself of this bad little habit, so I'm going to try to use my nice linen napkins on a daily basis. Now if I can only convince my housekeeper to iron them.

Blog Archive