Chic Shape, Unfortunate Name




I've recently made an addition to my ever growing wishlist of furniture and objets that I want to own. The latest object of my attention is a kidney shaped table. Perhaps this fascination with kidney shaped furniture goes back to the days when I spent hours and hours swimming in my family's kidney shaped pool. (Hey, I know these pools are no longer the height of chicdom, but many years ago they were considered rather novel.)

Now, I must say that I cringe a little bit at the use of the word "kidney". I do get a little squeamish if I start to think about organs, which might explain why I nixed majoring in Biology in favor of History- far less blood and guts, although studying wars can be a little gruesome. But I digress.

Decades ago, women fantasized about primping and preening at their very own kidney-shaped vanities. These confections were swathed in satin or matelassé, were sometimes bedecked with ribbons or bows, and usually were topped by a piece of glass or mirror. How could one not feel glamorous sitting at these gems while making one's toilet (the old term for freshening up and sometimes putting on one's face). I think it's time for these vanities to make a comeback.

I'm also pining for a kidney-shaped desk or little side table. It would be so elegant to have one of these as a social command post if you will. You could take care of your social correspondence, talk on the phone, or take care of some kind of gracious business. Sure beats sitting in bed with your laptop on your lap!


I'm completely smitten with this Jansen kidney shaped table. Not only is it the right shape, the black laquer finish and gold trim speaks to my Hollywood side. (Available from Flessas Design.)


A bit frilly for my tastes, this table would still make a very feminine vanity. (Available through Heather & Co.)


This 19th c. Russian writing table is really quite elegant, and I like the tooled leather inset. Forget paying bills at this stately table; I'm thinking more along the lines of love letters... (Available through George Subkoff Antiques.)


This type of kidney shaped end table is probably the most ubiquitous of all. Not that that's a bad thing, but when you think of kidney shaped tables, don't you think of these? (Available Ad Lib Antiques)


Modernists like kidneys too. This Mastercraft table would look right at home in my home, surrounded by a few traditional pieces. (Through Assemblage.)


Kidneys look good on the cuff too. OK, so technically it's a bean and not a kidney. Maybe a kidney bean? Elsa Peretti's black jade cufflinks are smashing! (Get these while you can in case Tiffany's chooses to discontinue these too.)

Image at top: A vintage diagram of the kidneys, available through Voila!

Blog Archive