Blue and White with Oscar de la Renta





As much as I love blue and white (and I do, I promise), I feel as though there is blue and white...and then there is blue and white! What I mean, I suppose, is that there is classic blue and white, proper blue and white, and tailored blue and white. But what's really rare is blue and white with some sizzle. Forget about this kind of blue and white being cool; rather, it's positively on fire. The look incorporates bold blues and even bolder prints, and everything is thrown together with complete insouciance. Then again, is the look really achieved in such a carefree manner? That I don't know. But, what I do know is that Oscar de la Renta has given us some of the hottest blue and white rooms ever. Unfortunately, I can only find a scant three photos to prove my point. But, based on what I have found, I'd say that he really has a way with blue and white.




A 1969 photo of Francoise and Oscar de la Renta's Manhattan apartment.



A Porthault clad table in de la Renta's dining room c. 1971. Horst, photographer.



Image at top: A c. 1980s photo of de la Renta at his Casa de Campo home.